Carmarthen is getting ready for one of its biggest summer events.
The Carmarthen River Festival takes place on Saturday, June 23.
The major sponsor for the event will be chartered accountants and business consultants Clay Shaw Butler.
Mark Jones, a director of Clay Shaw Butler, said: “We are delighted to be supporting the river festival for the second year running.
“Last year’s event was a great success and we are hoping for another great day out for all the family at the weekend.
“It’s an occasion to celebrate Carmarthen’s rich maritime history, to look how the world famous River Tywi can be used to create interest in the town and to see how we can all use the water safely.”
The event is being organised by the Carmarthenshire Water Safety Partnership team led by Adam Whitehouse.
He said: “We have a whole host of activities planned for the weekend and we look forward to welcoming one and all to Carmarthen Quay.
“Our grateful thanks go to all our sponsors and, in particular, our major sponsor, the team from Clay Shaw Butler in Lammas Street, Carmarthen.”
The itinerary for the day is –
1pm – 5pm – Free Fun Fair
1pm – 5pm Sea Cookery
3pm – Ferryside Lifeboat
3.30pm – Coracle Races
4pm – Raft Race
4.30pm – Welsh National Inflatable Sprint Championship
Free Kayak Taster sessions, bands and performers will be entertaining the crowds throughout the day.
There will be a ‘History of the Quay’ talk by Simon Ratty at the Quay Centre (the light blue building on the quayside) from 1pm.
From 1.30pm to 2.30pm contestants will have to check-in their rafts.
Carmarthen Round Table have organised the free funfair on Carmarthen Quayside.
The Carmarthen Round Table is a charity organisation, run by local men who give their time to raise funds for local charities. Their dedication and hard work also provide Carmarthen town with an annual firework display.
As part of the build-up to the event, eight ‘Water Safety Rocks’ have been hidden in and around Carmarthen.
Anyone finding one of these sparkly rocks can exchange it for a Water Safety goodie-bag at the Carmarthen River Festival on Saturday.
The shout has also gone out to all flamingos, unicorns, pizza slices and paddling pools.
The Carmarthen River Festival will feature the Welsh Inflatable Championships!
With a £1 entry fee, you’ve every chance of being crowned the Welsh National Inflatable Sprint Champion 2018 . . . if you can cross the finish line first!
This race is for the young, old and young at heart.
Water safety at the Carmarthen River Festival is a priority.
* All entrants must have a suitable life jacket / buoyancy aid according to their age/weight. Life jackets will be available on the day, but as this will be a popular event and to avoid disappointment, it would be advisable to come prepared.
* All entrants must wear suitable footwear as it will be muddy entering and exiting the water.
* Children are permitted to enter this event but MUST be accompanied by an adult – the child must wear a suitable life jacket / buoyancy aid for their age/weight.
* Safety on the river is paramount. Safety officers will make the decision for you to enter the river. If for any reason they feel a person does not meet with the safety guidelines, the safety officers have the right to refuse entry. The safety officers’ decision is final.
* Don’t forget a change of clothes and a towel . . . and don’t wear your best trainers as they may not turn up in Ferryside on the next tide!
Carmarthen River Festival social media links –
About major sponsors Clay Shaw Butler:
You can find out more about money matters on the Clay Shaw Butler website (under our news for business section) –
We have a strong and experienced team with great local knowledge all geared-up to helping you get the very best from your finances – whether that is as an individual or as a business.
We stay ahead of the game by putting great store by continual professional development for our staff.
With Investors In People status at Clay Shaw Butler, we care passionately about making sure our staff have all the tools they need to serve you, our customers.
Weblink – http://www.clayshawbutler.com
The team at Clay Shaw Butler can be contacted on 01267 228500.
The team at Clay Shaw Butler are on Twitter. Look for @clayshawbutler.
Mark Jones writes a regular column called Money Matters for the Carmarthen Herald, Llanelli Herald and Pembrokeshire Herald.
Scenes from last year’s festival and posters –